GORDON & MANDERSTON STREET ARCHIVE

In collaboration with Revan Sarikaya, Dunwell Coachworks and associated garages of Gordon Street & Manderston Street.

We’ve started a blog to document the arches of Gordon & Manderston Street. This archive can be viewed here.

We have recently been working to document remnants of industrial infrastructure in Edinburgh. We aim to record their current state, as well as the oral histories of those that remember them. This allows us to discuss how these spaces might evolve in a way that is mindful of their past use.

Our first investigation concerns the arches of a disused rail viaduct in Leith. Inhabited mainly by garages, they also span a Bingo Hall. This was once the Capitol Picture House, which screened films from 1928-1961 while the trains rumbled overhead. The brick arches carried a train line from the Leith docks towards Granton and beyond. They were disconnected at either end in the 1980’s, and the viaduct has since been replaced with a mixture of housing and industrial estates.

Dunwell Coachworks is the first garage in the series that we have documented. You can view the images and recordings on the Gordon & Manderston Street Archive.